initial slowness

Andreas Winkelmann ml at awinkelmann.de
Wed Apr 22 05:49:41 EDT 2009

>>> The other option I ran into some time ago... and it had to due to
>>> defining multiple authentication schemes in the SASL configuration.
>>> When you define multiple, it will try each one in order.  I stripped
>>> it down to just PLAIN, which is what I wanted to use, and it was
>>> much quicker.  The cyradm script will prompt for the password before
>>> actually trying to connect, which is why it's slow AFTER the
>>> password is entered.

>> I'll try them and write back if success.

> I recompiled Cyrus SASL leaving only PLAIN, but the slowness continues.

Re-compiling does not remove already installed Mechanismsm. Mechanisms are
Files which are dynamially loaded on startup and used if they are present.

You can disable others than plain with "sasl_mech_list: plain" in your
imapd.conf.

But is this relly the reason?

> I guess I should ask at the Cyrus SASL list...

Use imtest to Login to your IMAP-Server and look where the time is spend.

Look in the Logs for errors/warnings.

--
Andreas