Murder with Virtual Domains - deliveries from postfix fail

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Sep 3 15:42:44 EDT 2008

Dan Gaudette wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Cyrus Murder 2.3.12p2 up and running (1 frontend, 1 backend, 1
> mupdate), however when I enable virtdomains I receive the following
> error on the frontend:   imapd/lmtp[]: verify_user
> (frontend.example.com!user.steve) failed: Mailbox does not exist
>
> Everything else seems to work fine (IMAP, POP, creating/deleting
> mailboxes with domain administrators), but the frontend server fails
> with the above message when receiving the email addressed to
> steve at example.com from Postfix (separate machine).
>
> Postfix returns: <steve at frontend.example.com>: host
> xxx.xx.xx.xxx[xxx.xx.xx.xxx] said: 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is
> no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have
> authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO
> command)
>
> I've tried recreating the mailbox after virtdomains was enabled, but
> with the same result.
>
> Am I missing something in my Cyrus configuration, or is this an issue
> with Postfix?

Dan,

I ran into a similar error during my install, but I don't recall if this
is what got me around it:

On the Front end:
virtdomains: on

On the Backend:
virtdomains: userid

On the Mupdate server:
virtdomains: on

I have Postfix and lmtp (proxy) running on the frontend as well. I can
provide more config if you'd like.