Mapping a username to a Mailbox via LDAP?

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Oct 14 06:29:42 EDT 2008

Daniel Dewald <Daniel.Dewald at iks-computer.de> wrote:

> I want the user to login with his AD credentials and
> still be routed to his correct mailbox. Is there a mapping feature in
> Cyrus for mailbox names I’m not aware of? It would be perfect if

There are two SASL plugins dealing with login and user names:

1. canonical
   translates the given username to an internal username, which cyrus imapd
uses as mailbox name (with user prefix "user.").
2. auxprop
   takes the given username, retrieves the stored secret, and returns it to
the SASL library. The auxprop can also do the mapping of the given username
to another user name schema used in the authentication/secret database. It
passes the given username unchanged to the imap daemon which will be the
mailbox name then.

In our setup, users do log in with their e-mail-address, but the mailboxes
have our internal uid as name. A canonical plugin does the translation. In
your case, a canonical plugin should convert the username into the sid,
cyrus imap will use that as mail box name.

Pascal Gienger
Universität Konstanz