Cyrus 2.3.13 RC2

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Oct 8 02:28:45 EDT 2008

> Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>
>> There have been 5 major releases of PostgreSQL since 7.2 was released
>> and 7.2 is EOL in the next few months. I think it is completely
>> reasonable
>> to not support version 7.1/7.2 in a new system considering that 7.1 is
>> EOL and 7.2 will be shortly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ken
>
> Oh seriously, don't even waste time worrying about it. 7.2 died a long
> time ago, 7.3 was EOL the beginning of this year [1], and 7.4 is about
> to go the same way real soon now. Normally adding 7.3 support is fairly
> easy if required, whereas going back to 7.2 is often a complete pain,
> plus you have to live with several unfixable data loss bugs...

The point is that I'm maintaining cyrus-imapd rpms for RedHat/Fedora and
always try to provide maximum functionality with them. PostgreSQL 7.1 is
still supported there, not by the PostgreSQL team but by RedHat, so that's
not a security problem or whatever. However, I understand now that it
doesn't make sense to support those old version with cyrus-imapd because
of the changes on the PostgreSQL side.

Simon