signaled to death by 7

Joshua Kordani jkordani at intlogsys.com
Mon Nov 17 14:14:12 EST 2008

Greetings all, I've come up against a hairy little problem and could use
some help

An imap process keeps kicking out when a particular user tries to access
his mail.

mail log reports this:
master[8762]: process 26353 exited, signaled to death by 7

The process in question is the imap process that is handling the
particular user's connection.

When I use telnet to access this user's mail, the server terminates the
connection as soon as i make a select mailboxname request.  I can list
them just fine.  It happens to all mailboxes this user owns.  I've
restarted the cyrus master process.  I've turned up logging on the mail
facility all the way up, and the only thing that is reported is that the
connection terminates, and that the process is signaled to death by 7.
It only happens with this user, and i've even run a reconstruct.  Where
should I look next?

(as an aside, in my efforts to disable the imaps service which we were
not using, but was filling up logs, i managed to turn off the pop3
service and I can't get it back on... I only commented out the imaps
entry in /etc/cyrus.conf and sighupped cyrus master, so I don't know...)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!