Unpredictable results from imapsync runs

Ciprian Marius Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Nov 4 03:08:49 EST 2008

Alain Spineux wrote:

> Other trick :
> - try to increas imapsync verbosity an check for any error message
> - increase the cyrus verbosisty : You can trac any imap command send
> by a user ,
> by just creating a directory inside the cyrus logging directory with
> the same name
> as of the user you wan to monitor.
> Dont forget to give cyrus user right to this directory.
>
> Do this on both end and check for error

Out of a sick "scientific" curiosity I left the servers in the same
"state" that is no reconstruct and I've compiled Armin Diehl's ImapCopy.
Given that both utilities use IMAP *IF* there was an an error on either
of the servers, it would manifest itself for BOTH copy utilities now
won't it (assuming we're talking the same folder)?

Guess what? I get no errors, I've already done the copy three times (not
to mention the extra speed I get from ImapCopy).

Now, why would any of the Cyruses involved in the transfer give broken
IMAP answers to imapsync but correct ones to ImapCopy?! =:-o Just
because Simon likes Pascal better than Perl? I doubt that. o:-) So
something's fishy here. :-|