sync_server crashing..

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun May 18 02:04:37 EDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:18:04 +0000 (GMT), "Andy Fiddaman" <cyrus at fiddaman.net> said:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the replication code can
> help me with a problem I'm seeing with Cyrus 2.3.12.
>
> I have a two server replicated setup and sync_server is occasionally
> crashing. Once it's crashed once it keeps on crashing until I completely
> reset replication by snapshotting the master, removing the sync logs
> and rsyncing the snapshot to the replica.
>
> The crash is happening in sync_cacheitem_size()
>
> Core was generated by `sync_server'.
>
> [...]
>
> This last itemlen pushes the pointer out of the allocated memory and
> causes the crash.
>
> Any ideas on whether these entries look right and where I should look
> next
> to debug it?

You have a corrupted cache file.  Various things could have caused this,
it isn´t easy to know what it was.

Your fix works because once you rsync, there is no mention of the folder
with the problem in the sync log any more, however next time anything
happens on that folder you get the crash again.

1) figure out what folder it is
2) reconstruct it
3) profit???

Enjoy,