Backscatter solutions

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Fri May 16 08:27:57 EDT 2008

Marc Grober <marc at interak.com> writes:
> I am getting pounded by backscatter as a result of one of my addresses
> being used by some major spammers. Are there any solutions available
> to address all the Delivery failure and bounce notices.  I would at
> least like to be able to sort between such responses from mail I am
> actually sending and the backscatter. I have looked through headers
> and nothing seems an obvious candidate.

I am using address rewriting for all addresses @rath.org:

 - Every outgoing mail has its envelope from rewritten to
   @bounce.rath.org, a domain name that isn't used for anything else

 - Bounces (i.e., mails coming with envelope from <>) send to
   @rath.org are rejected as backscatter.

 - Mail to @bounce.rath.org is rewritten back to @rath.org

So far this has worked perfectly. But of course, there might be
software that sends bounces to the From: or Reply-To: address. So if
you want to use this not exclusively for your own address, you
probably want to be careful.

HTH,

   -Nikolaus

--
 Nikolaus at rath.org | College Ring 6, 28759 Bremen, Germany
 Class of 2008 - Physics | Jacobs University Bremen

 »My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.«