thunderbird sieve certificate issues

Marc Grober marc at interak.com
Thu May 8 15:25:52 EDT 2008

I have thunderbird sieve extension connecting to my mail
server,  but the extension then advises that the server is
requiring a certificate. Though I have a number of Thawte
email certs none of them will of course be accepted and the
extensions say they are unable to establish an encrypted
connection.  What is causing this and what can I do about
it?   Is the server looking for a public key? Does anyone
having this running also being asked for a cert? I looked
and played with OCSP. And it seems I can get the server to
quit asking for a cert but then it just hangs there saying
"Connecting".  Is the certificate just a red herring?