Cyrus questions, lost emails, reconstruct

Derrick Seymour seymourdh at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 17:41:32 EDT 2008

> I am on a mac os x server 10.3.9
>
> not sure how to find the cyrus version, naive i
> know...

I dont know anything to os x packaging

> the -i is from one of apples documents on how to
> reconstruct the entire database for cyrus.  the -r
is
> for a single user, knowing now that it is broken
makes
> a lot of sense with the problems i am having
> reconstructing.

-r is for "recursive" (on usual cyrus install)

> latest system changes was the installation of
> spamassassin with procmail for the relay.  This i
> believe this caused my initial problem with the
> disappearing emails.  Not to concerned about that
> right now, though i will be very happy to receive
> suggestions on that.

cyrus users use SIEVE instead of procmail.
Of course sieve is not as flexible as procmail, but a
lot lot
faster, more secure, and part of cyrus

Read this, to be sure your procmail configuration is
compatible with
 cyrus
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html

Is your mail store on a networked disk ?

> Main problem is to get reconstruct working, I will
> deal with the disappearing emails later on, need to
> get them back now and be able to get them back
> reliably in the future until i fix the core problem
> with the disappearing emails.
>
> updated info that i found:
>
> when i take a look at the mailbox.db for the user
that
> has a corrupted in box i get this....
>
> myserver2:/var/imap user# sudo -u cyrus
> /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -d | grep brokenuser
> user.brokenuser   default BROKENUSER
lrswipcda
> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Drafts      default brokenuser
>     lrswipcda
> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Sent        default brokenuser
>     lrswipcda
> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Trash       default brokenuser
>     lrswipcda
>
> as you can see the inbox has the user in all caps,
> makes sense now why they can't get into there inbox,
> believe this is case sensitive, so now how do i
change
> this back to lowercase and or which reconstruct
> command (i know -r is broken) will work.  I don't
mind
> the broken construct if i can edit the mailbox.db
> successfully to fix the one issue with the caps.
can
> always do up a script.

use cyradm to change ACL, using "sam" command

> i've checked other users, all of there info is in
> lowercase....

First off let me thank all of you for your help so
far.

To answer the above questions:

My mail store is on a fiber channel RAID
Procmail looks to be set up properly, i will look into
this further
Mac os x 10.3.9 ships with cyrus 2.2.10, or should i
say was updated to 2.2.10
Up until the installation of spamassassin and procmail
there has been no 'reported' problems

though i don't think the reconstruct problem has
anything to do with the install, the disappearing
emails maybe.

Here is some updates:

Through long searching I decided to try this, after i
backed up everything....twice ;-)

stopped mail

sudo -u cyrus /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -d >
/mailboxdb.txt

edited the caps user to lower case with pico

sudo -u cyrus /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -u <
/mailboxdb.txt

started mail

this worked, as far as i can tell, no loss of email
and the user can log back in with squirrelmail with
out the error "mailbox does not exist"

Logged in with a couple of other users via IMAP and
POP everything looks good.

While editing the mailboxdb i found something
strange.....

as you can see below there is an entry for some users
in all upper case, there is also complete entries for
these users also in lower case.

user.USER1    default USER1 lrswipcda
user.USER2  default USER2        lrswipcda

user.user1     default user1  lrswipcda
user.user1.INBOX^Drafts        default user1
lrswipcda
user.user1.INBOX^Sent  default user1  lrswipcda
user.user1.INBOX^Trash default user1  lrswipcda

user.user2   default user2        lrswipcda
user.user2.INBOX^Drafts      default user2
lrswipcda
user.user2.INBOX^Sent        default user2
lrswipcda
user.user2.INBOX^Trash       default user2
lrswipcda

The user that had the problem (mailbox does not exist)
after i did a reconstruct  was one of the users that
had multiple entries in the mailbox.db.  I am
wondering if these single entries have any use, can i
delete them, is this perhaps why when i did the
reconstruct the user had an all caps entry for the
inbox and then wasn't able to log in?  Because that
looks like what the problem was.  I am also wondering
if i deleted this single entries would the reconstruct
work?

Thanks again for all the help

-derrick