Cyrus questions, lost emails, reconstruct

Derrick Seymour seymourdh at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 11:20:28 EDT 2008

I have been having a few problems as of late.

First, lost emails.  Well they aren't really lost, i
have located them in the imap mail store under the
users name, kind of hidden i guess you would say.  not
sure why that is.

This happens randomly with incoming emails, maybe one
out of a couple thousand.

My fix to this was to reconstruct the user box.

sudo -u cyrus /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct r
user/(short name)

while this works, it seems to corrupt the inbox, only
the inbox all other folders stay intack.

the error i receive after the reconstruct is Mailbox
does not exist, i receive this from Squirrel Mail and
thunderbird.

The only way i have found to fix this is to do a total
reconstruct.

mv /var/imap /var/imap.old
mkdir /var/imap
/usr/bin/cyrus/tools/mkimap
chown -R cyrus:mail /var/imap
sudo -u cyrus /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -i

and of course this fixes the problem of the mail box
does not exist but i always seems to lose some emails
in the process, usually one or two users at random

You can probably see a very bad cycle here.

I have chased this for a couple of weeks now and have
tried to solve on my own, i have search the internet
and found a couple of threads on stuff close to this
but nothing that i could use as a fix.

History

I have recently installed spamassassin for SPAM
control and now use procmail for the relay for
spamassassin.  Perhaps procmail is the culprit for the
lost emails in the first place, but i would like to be
able to reconstruct my boxes with out losing
mail(hidden email) or having the error that the
mailbox does not exist.

mac os x server 10.3.9 is the OS

any more info you need please let me know

Thank You in advance for any helpl

Derrick