sieve extension squirrelmail not working anymore

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:55:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:
> Some time ago I filed a "bug" for the CSWcyrus package. Using it I
> could no longer access my sieve scripts through my squirrelmail. (that
> use to work very well with cyrus-2.3.09 and stopped working w/ 2.3.11

Did you read this post from Ken Murchison on cyrus-devel ?

Subject: [POLL] timsieved STARTTLS implementation

Folks,

I have recently been informed that Cyrus timsieved has had an
incompatible MANAGESIEVE STARTTLS implementation since v2.1.10.  The
problem is that the server is supposed to automatically issue a
CAPABILITY response at the completion of STARTTLS, but this
functionality was removed in v2.1.10 (see bug #1338 for details).

My question is this:  If I fix timsieved to be compliant with the
MANAGESIEVE text (which has always been consistent), will this break
any client implementations?

Now, You know why !

Regards

> Not only squirrelmail has problems; also the thunderbird extension does
> not work right (I read in this list).
>
> >From the maintainer at CSW I got this reply:

>  yann - 2008-05-11 20:47 EDT
> Ok I've had some time to work on your bug and I was able to reproduce it
> with Thunderbird Sieve extension.
>
> This problem seems related to TLS. Can you confirm that you only
> reproduce it with TLS enabled in Thunderbird sieve extension or with
> the squirrelmail plugin ?
>
> Unfortunately, it's not sure the bug is on the cyrus side as I can
> connect without problem with TLS with sieve-connect:
> http://people.spodhuis.org/~pdp/software/
> Can you also try to connect with sieve-connect ?
>
> Sniffing the traffic and looking at the log, it seems tls is negociated,
> thunderbird authenticate successfully but is blocked before any sieve
> command is sent.
>
> Did you also try to report the bug to the thunderbird sieve extension
> author ?
>
> Unfortunately sieve-connect does not compile on my S10 box. So I can't
> check it. I did not sent a report to the thunderbird ext owner eithe,
> because the problems are already known ;-)
>
> But what strikes me is that it is NOT only thunderbird sieve that
> chokes; squirrelmail chokes too. And that was not the case with older
> versions of cyrus.
>
> --
> Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
> ++ http://nagual.nl/ + SunOS sxde 01/08 ++
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com