Backscatter solutions

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri May 9 09:49:56 EDT 2008

Ian Eiloart wrote, at 05/09/2008 05:54 AM:

> If you aren't using SPF, then you can't really complain about backscatter.
> If you deploy SPF, then you can expect a bit less backscatter, and you can
> encourage others to check your SPF records.

Backscatter is created when an MTA accepts a message that it can't relay
or deliver, thus generating a bounce to the (alleged) sender. I fail to
see how SPF (or just about any other check) can eliminate backscatter if
it's not applied at the first MTA in the chain, rejecting the message
during the SMTP transaction. After that, the game is mostly over,
because the original connection has completed, and a bounce will be
generated in the case of nondelivery.

Ideally, MTAs shouldn't accept messages that can't be delivered, for
whatever reason. How this is dealt with depends on the MTA's role in the
process. Aside from the traditional sender's submission MTA and the
recipient's destination MX, there may be intermediate MTAs that
complicate the process (gateways, third party filtering services, poorly
configured final mail stores, etc.). I suspect that it is the
proliferation of these that are responsible for the sudden surge in
backscatter, not any changes in behaviour on the part of spammers. Email
administration is complicated, and the trend has been to outsource this
headache to anyone who will take your money, regardless of whether or
not they follow best practices.

In any case, by the time it gets to your IMAP server, there isn't much
you can do about it other than sort it into folders or delete it.