Backscatter solutions

Andy Fiddaman cyrus at fiddaman.net
Fri May 9 03:05:06 EDT 2008

; Marc Grober wrote:
; > I am getting pounded by backscatter as a result of one of my addresses
; > being used by some major spammers. Are there any solutions available to
; > address all the Delivery failure and bounce notices.  I would at least
; > like to be able to sort between such responses from mail I am actually
; > sending and the backscatter. I have looked through headers and nothing
; > seems an obvious candidate.

Pretty much the only way to stop this is to use something like BATV to
tweak your envelope sender address outbound. That still doesn't stop
everything as out-of-office replies are usually sent from a real address.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-levine-mass-batv-02
http://sourceforge.net/projects/batv-milter/

A.