quota bug involving nested quota roots?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu May 1 11:03:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Nik Conwell <nik at bu.edu> wrote:

>  I'm running 2.3.8 (Invoca) and see strange quota behavior.  I checked the
>  changelog for 2.3.12p1 and no mention of quota fixes (32-bit).  Unfortunately I
>  don't have a 2.3.12p1 system to check this out.  Do people see similar things on
>  the current version?  Am I doing something wrong having nested quotas this way?
>

>  My mailbox has quota and usage:
>
>  quota -f |grep -E "user/nik|Quota"
>
>     Quota   % Used     Used Root
>   10485760       15  1640288 user/nik
>

>  If I set a quota on user/nik/restore (empty mailbox) and do quota -f, my
>  recorded usage changes:
>
>  sq user/nik/restore 1
>
>  quota -f|grep -E "user/nik|Quota"
>
>     Quota   % Used     Used Root
>   10485760       13  1442491 user/nik
>         1        0        0 user/nik/restore
>

>  I did finds on the filesystem and added up file sizes:
>

>  full=`find /cyrus/master07/spool/n/user/nik -type f -ls|grep -v "cyrus\."|awk '{print $7}'|add`;echo "full=$full"
>
>  restore=`find /cyrus/master07/spool/n/user/nik/restore -type f -ls|grep -v "cyrus\."|awk '{print $7}'|add`;echo "restore=$restore"
>

>  full=1679655197
>  restore=0
>

>  The full / 1024 matches the original 1640288 used so the problem seems to be
>  quota -f not correctly traversing when there is another lower quota root.

traversing ? Hum. Is it possible that cyrus stop counting as soon as
it find another quota root ?
What appends if you call your "restore" folder, "aaaa" or "zzzzz".

Is it possible you have some hardlink in your mailbox, created by the
imap option
singleinstancestore ? An some times hardlinks could be counted only
once like with
the "du -l".

>  If I remove the user/nik/restore quota and do quota -f, the value matches the
>  original again:
>
>  sq user/nik/restore remove 1
>
>  quota -f|grep -E "user/nik|Quota"
>     Quota   % Used     Used Root