Sieve forwarding loop destroys e-mail

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 09:27:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> Once again, we had somebody use the sieve facility to redirect e-mail
>  back to the same mailbox and then go on vacation.  This sets up a
>  forwarding loop which cyrus breaks by discarding the e-mail.  During
>  this vacation, all of the person's e-mail disappeared.

If you force a "keep" in your sieve script, the mail will be delivered
at least once in
the mailbox

>  Shouldn't we have a better solution to this problem?  Some people
>  expect that forwarding e-mail to yourself should work; nobody expects
>  the messages to vanish without a trace.

You must enforce this at sieve script creation, because sieve and even cyrus
dont know about "yourself". They dont know if the forwarding address is
not an alias or even an external address with a forwarding to the cyrus mailbox.

>  Once the message has been `seen' and is about to be forwarded again,
>  it would be better to deliver the message into the mailbox, rather
>  than deleting it.  Is this possible with the current design of the
>  duplicate delivery database?

How can a message be 'seen' if it is not in the mailbox, and how can
the mailbox owner read this message if he is in vacation ?
Or you mean 'seen', already in the delivered db ? But then this
is the job of the delivered db to drop the email to avoid loop.

enforce a "keep" in the sieve script is a good solution.

Reagrds

>  --
>  -Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-
>  ----
>  Cyrus Home Page: http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/
>  Cyrus Wiki/FAQ: http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki

Alain Spineux