Seen database issue

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 17 19:14:10 EDT 2008

> Moving the /var/spool/imap directories, and /var/lib/user/{}.seen
> files to the new server and reconstructing works fine except that all the
> mail shows up as "not read" on the new sever.

The seen state is keyed on the mailbox "uniqueid", so if that changes, the
seen state becomes invalid.

The mailbox uniqueid is based on the mailbox name + the uidvalidity value,
which is itself based on the time the mailbox is created, or recreated due
to a reconstruct.

Now I thought reconstruct should preserve the mailbox uniqueid in most
cases, but it's possible it's not if you're not copying all the data
correctly.

1. Why are you reconstructing the mailboxes. If you copy all the right data,
it should be fine without a reconstruct
2. How are you copying the data? Recommend using rsync -az which will
preserve all the attributes + timestamps
3. Are you using split data/meta data? If so, are you copying the metadata
as well?
4. What flags are you passing to reconstruct?

Rob