Seen database issue

Shelley Waltz shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:40:26 EDT 2008

Alain Spineux said:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Shelley Waltz <shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu>
> wrote:
>> The architecture of the old server is intel 32bit RHEL3 and the new
>> server
>> is intel 32bit RHEL5.  Any suggestions on what may be wrong is
>> appreciated
>> as this is the only issue I have in the transition and I need to move a
>> large number of users to the new server without losing the seen
>> information.
>>
>> I tried converting the skiplist db on the old server to various formats
>> -
>> berkeley flat and then back to skiplist on the new server, but the
>> messages on the new server still all come up as not seen.
>> thanks much S
>>
>> Shelley Waltz said:
>>> I am migrating my users from cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-4 to cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-2
>>>
>>> Moving the /var/spool/imap directories, and /var/lib/user/{}.seen
>>> files to the new server and reconstructing works fine except that all
>>> the
>>> mail shows up as "not read" on the new sever.
>>>
>>> The username.seen on both servers is skiplist.  What do I need to do to
>>> have the seen preserved in the migration?
>>>
>>> No issues were mentioned in the upgrade documentation regarding a
>>> migration
>>> from 2.2 to 2.3 and skiplist.  Any help is appreciated.
>>> thanks S
>
> Do you have any error message ?
> Are you sure you have restored your seen file in the good place  ?
> If you you create a completely new user, is the seen working then ?

There are no error messages, just the usual messages at start-up regarding
rebuilding the seen database - this is normal, yes?

A new user seen database does work and I have restored the username.seen
files to /var/lib/imap/user/{a-z}/ .  If I change read a message, the seen
database does change and does work.  It is only that upon migrating the
database from one host to the other that all the messages appear as not
seen.  ???????  what may cause the information to get lost?  Is it the
rebuild which happens when cyrus-imapd starts?  Why does it rebuild?

thanks S