Problem on creating users account and their mail boxes

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 12:04:33 EDT 2008

Hi Simon,

OK I'll start again using cyrus.conf defualt and imapd.conf default.
If I make a wrong step please inform me.  Thanks.

$ sudo cp -p /etc/cyrus.conf /etc/cyrus.conf.bak_20080615
$ sudo cp /etc/cyrus.conf.origin.20080606 /etc/cyrus.conf

$ sudo cp -p /etc/imapd.conf /etc/imapd.conf.bak_20080615
$ sudo cp -p /etc/imapd.conf.origin.20080526 /etc/imapd.conf

$ cat /etc/imapd.conf | grep unixhierarchysep
unixhierarchysep: no

$ sudo nano /etc/cyrus.conf

Making following changes;
SERVICES {
        # --- Normal cyrus spool, or Murder backends ---
        # add or remove based on preferences
        imap            cmd="imapd -U 30" listen="imap" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        imaps           cmd="imapd -s -U 30" listen="imaps" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        #pop3           cmd="pop3d -U 30" listen="pop3" prefork=0
maxchild=50
        #pop3s          cmd="pop3d -s -U 30" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
maxchild=50

Adding following lines at the end of the file;

admins: cyrus
unixhierarchysep: 0

$ sudo nano /etc/imapd.conf

Making following changes
8<----------------------------------------
# Uncomment the following and add the space-separated users who
# have admin rights for all services.
admins: cyrus
8<----------------------------------------

8<----------------------------------------
# Do note that, since sasl will be run as user cyrus, you may have a
lot of
# trouble to set this up right.
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
8<----------------------------------------

Adding following lines at the end of the file;
# path to mux
sasl_saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/mux

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cyrus2.2 restart
Stopping Cyrus IMAPd: cyrmaster.
Waiting for complete shutdown....
Starting Cyrus IMAPd: cyrmaster.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/saslauthd restart
Stopping SASL Authentication Daemon: saslauthd.
Starting SASL Authentication Daemon: saslauthd.

$ su cyrus
Password: abc
sh-3.1$ cyradm localhost
Password: xyz
localhost>  lm
INBOX^Drafts (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
INBOX^Sent (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
INBOX^Trash (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
user.aaa (\HasNoChildren)
user.satimiscyrus (\HasNoChildren)
user.bbb (\HasChildren)
user.bbb.bbb (\HasNoChildren)
user^groupware (\HasNoChildren)
user^satimiscyrus (\HasNoChildren)

It is working now.  On SquirrelMail emails on INBOX/Trash can be
deleted.  Accounts aaa, satimiscyrus and bbb are working.

What shall I do with account user.bbb.bbb, user^groupware and
user^satimiscyrus?

Shall I run "dm user.bbb.bbb" etc. to delele them while running on
'cyradm'?

If permission denied whether I can run "sam user.aaa cyrus all" first?

Please advise.  TIA.

B.R.
Stephen