Problem on creating users account and their mail boxes

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Sun Jun 15 08:40:19 EDT 2008

> Hi Simon,
>

> - snip -
>
>> You really have to understand what you are doing and how your system
>> you
>> configured works. Or how you want it to work.
>> 1) didn't you use "unixhierarchysep: 1" in your config. My personal
>> impression is that it's just more confusing than using the default
>> "." as
>> separator. I can't help you with it because I never use
>> unixhierarchysep
>

> Yes I use "unixhierarchysep: 1"
>

> $ cat /etc/imapd.conf | grep unixhierarchysep
> unixhierarchysep: yes

I know that you are using it. I only wanted to tell you that it makes
things more complicated than using the default. All examples you find in
the docs are for the default, that's why using unixhierarchysep is more
confusing.

>> but from what I see you already messed up, just look at your
>> mailboxes
>> list:
>>
>> user.satimiscyrus (\HasNoChildren)
>> user.ddd (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/satimiscyrus (\HasNoChildren)
>>
>> Do you see?
>

> I found this funny discovery.
>

> Running "cm user.satimiscyrus" it creates "user.satimiscyrus
> (\HasNoChildren)", with no mailbox for this user created.

The example is for users without unixhierarchysep, which is the default
for Cyrus.

> # locate satimiscyru
> # find / -name satimiscyrus
> both having no printout.

Well as someone else already told you, stop looking around on the
filesystem, look around with cyradm only. But if you really want, try

find / -name "*satimiscyrus*"

> Neither can I login SquirrelMail nor emails can be received, all
> rejected.
>

> Running "cm user/satimiscyrus" it creates "user/satimiscyrus
> (\HasNoChildren)", with mailboxes for this user created.
>

> # find / -name satimiscyrus
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/user/satimiscyrus
>

> # ls -l /var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/user/satimiscyrus
> total 16
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 1503 2008-06-15 08:50 13.
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 1116 2008-06-15 14:38 cyrus.cache
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail  158 2008-06-09 16:35 cyrus.header
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail  136 2008-06-15 14:38 cyrus.index
>

> # ls -ld /var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/user/satimiscyrus
> drwx------ 2 cyrus mail 4096 2008-06-15 14:38
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/user/satimiscyrus
>

> I can login SquirrelMail sending and receiving emails.  But the email
> sent can't be saved on Inbox.sent.  Nor incoming emails received can be
> deleted on Inbox.

Maybe your Cyrus works but you have misconfigured Squirrelmail.

> It took me half day to find it out.
>

>> 2) How did you configure authentication?
>> IIRC you were using cyrus -> saslauthd -> PAM. That means your Cyrus
>> users
>> need Unix accounts (but just for authentication). If so, then forget
>> about
>> saslpasswd, it does nothing for you.
>

> I already solved the authentication problem by adding a line
> "sasl_saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/mux" on
> /etc/imapd.conf
>

> I don't know why it was missed.

I'm not talking about that. Somewhere you told us that you were using
saslpasswd to add passwords. I only told you that saslpasswd is not used
at all in your setup.

>> 3) You have created a mailbox for user aaa and expected it to become
>> Unix user, I see it because you tried "su aaa". Cyrus mailboxes have
>> nothing to do with Unix account so creating a Cyrus mailbox never
>> creates
>> a Unix account.
>>
>> What that all means is, if you really use cyrus -> saslauthd -> PAM
>> for
>> authentication, then to create a mailbox, to this:
>>
>> With cyradm, create a mailbox:
>> cm user.someuser
>

> Login cyrus
> then ran;
> cyradm localhost
> cm user/aaa
>
> to create mail boxes for user "aaa".
>

> If running "cm user.aaa", no mail box will be created.

My examples are alywas for the default "unixhierarchysep: 0".

> # find / -name aaa
> can't find it.

Yes, because I guess the "/" is translated to another char with
"unixhierarchysep: 1.

Simon