Cyrus Murder or IMAP proxy.

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Jul 29 12:45:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, UnlimitedMail.net - Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm thinking about to use the Cyrus Murder in order to setup an e-mail IMAP
> cluster system. The problem is that I have seen this note on the
> install-murder text file:
>
> [...]
>    Note that Cyrus Murder is still relatively young in the grand scheme of
>    things, and if you choose to deploy you are doing so at your own risk.
>    Many of the failure modes can be difficult to track without a detailed
>    understanding of the mupdate protocol and IMAP in general, and thus
>    even considering a deployment is not for the faint at heart.
>
>    Sites which think they need the Murder functionality but do not need a
>    uniform namespace (no shared mailboxes) should consider other IMAP
>    proxy solutions.
>
>    At the same time, we are using it successfully in production at
>    Carnegie Mellon.
> [...]
>
> Then, for a production system, should I use an IMAP proxy solution instead of
> Cyrus Murder?
> Is there anyone using Cyrus Murder in a hevay loaded production e-mail system?

We use Cyrus Murder here with approximately 35,000 mailboxes.  It has
worked great for us.

The comment "Cyrus Murder is still relatively young" has been in the
documentation for a long time.  It should probably be reworded or removed
at this point, since it has been in Cyrus for several major version
releases and is heavily used and tested.

 	Andy