Couple of questions

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jul 22 03:31:56 EDT 2008

Quoting Jorey Bump <list at joreybump.com>:

> Steve Webb wrote, at 07/21/2008 04:35 PM:
>
>> 1.)  If a pop user selects "keep messages on server" they start to see
>> duplicate emails.  I saw that other people on the listserv have also had
>> the same issues, but there's not been any resolution to this issue.  Q:
>> How come Cyrus doesn't implement the correct bahaviour, and is there any
>> work-around other than switching to IMAP over POP?  I've got pop users
>> that can't access IMAP (using phones for checking email when on travel
>> with "leave messages on server" then suck down the emails when they arrive
>> back at a desktop).  It's not feasable for them to move to IMAP and they
>> require this functionality.
>
> This has nothing to do with the POP server. Various POP clients use
> various methods to keep track of the messages left on the server, so
> they can avoid downloading them again, where they will appear as
> duplicates. When pointed to another POP server, this information is no
> longer valid. The old messages look like new ones, and the POP client
> downloads them. This will happen even if you migrate to a new server
> running the exact same version of the POP server you've been using.
> Fortunately, it will only happen once, and you'll get the same behaviour
> you had before.

Beware there is a Bug in Outlook 2003 (don't know which SPs) which
will get confused if the length of the UID string of a Mail change
resulting in downloading the same Message over and over again. Cyrus
will not change the legth, but Cyrus may use an other legth as UW has
used. The workaround is to
add a new POP-Account in Outlook or to switch to IMAP

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen