Postfix can't deliver to cyrus via lmtp

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri Jul 11 15:08:22 EDT 2008

Derek Croxton wrote, at 07/11/2008 02:36 PM:
> I'm migrating a cyrus + postfix server to Ubuntu Hardy. Everything
> else works -- old mail is migrated, I can read it, and I can send
> mail -- but I can't receive mail. It gets stuck in postfix, with the
> error "warning: connect #[x] to subsystem private/lmtp: Connection
> refused".
>
> I discovered that the lmtp socket in Hardy is, by default,
> /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp, and I set master.cf accordingly. I saw
> one warning that the file needs to be accessible to both the cyrus
> and the postfix users. The /var/run/socket directory is owned by
> cyrus:mail, and has permissions of 740. The lmtp file itself is owned
> by root:root, but has permissions of 777. (Actually, the permissions
> line reads "srwxrwxrwx"; I can't remember what the leading "s"
> means.) Postfix appears to be running as the "postfix" user.
>
> Thanks far any help you can provide.

You should only need to add postfix to the mail group (at least, that's
what I do on Slackware, where I have Postfix and Cyrus IMAPd compiled
from source).

You may still encounter a problem if Postfix is chrooted (the default in
Debian-based systems, I believe). It is perfectly safe to not chroot
Postfix, and I would recommend this as the easiest solution if it raises
issues.