Postfix can't deliver to cyrus via lmtp

Derek Croxton croxton3 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 14:36:58 EDT 2008

I'm migrating a cyrus + postfix server to Ubuntu Hardy. Everything else works -- old mail is migrated, I can read it, and I can send mail -- but I can't receive mail. It gets stuck in postfix, with the error "warning: connect #[x] to subsystem private/lmtp: Connection refused".

I discovered that the lmtp socket in Hardy is, by default, /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp, and I set master.cf accordingly. I saw one warning that the file needs to be accessible to both the cyrus and the postfix users. The /var/run/socket directory is owned by cyrus:mail, and has permissions of 740. The lmtp file itself is owned by root:root, but has permissions of 777. (Actually, the permissions line reads "srwxrwxrwx"; I can't remember what the leading "s" means.) Postfix appears to be running as the "postfix" user.

Thanks far any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Derek