cyrus-murder: backend and frontend/proxy on the same machine?

Alexey Lobanov A.Lobanov at cro-rct.ru
Wed Jan 23 10:55:41 EST 2008

Hi all

02.01.2008 11:58, Janne Peltonen пишет:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:04:26PM +0100, Michael Menge wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> i don't know if it's possible with Cyrus 2.2, but it is with 2.3,
>> look for unified murder

I met the following fatal problem with "unified" mode: "ctl_mboxlist -m"
is not able to distinguish local and imported mailboxes at the
slave+backend server, and every time pushes everything back to the
Master. As the result, the Master database is duplicated with every
slave resyncing and is wasted with "multistage" mailbox locations like
"obolon.kiev.rct-int!obolon.kiev.rct-int!imap.office.rct-int!default aal".

Well, I believe that it is possible to use ctl_mboxlist only once in
life, upon the murder initial assembling - but this way seems to be just
unreliable.

> It is also very much possible to run two separate instances of Cyrus on
> one server, with different imapd.confs and cyrus.confs and spool
> directories and configuration directories and what-have-you... sieve
> directories, which typically reside within the configuration tree. Look
> for the -C option for - well, every cyrus executable :)

Right now I am testing this mode, and it seems to be much better.

# pushing the real backend database to the Master
mupdatepush cmd="/usr/local/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -m -a -C /etc/imapd.conf"

# backend is available from LAN/VPN only
imap cmd="imapd -p 2" listen="10.0.3.1:imap" prefork=2 maxchild=200

# frontend mupdate communicates with master via VPN
# and uses own configdirectory
mupdate cmd="mupdate  -C /etc/imap_frontend.conf" listen=10.0.3.1:3905
prefork=1

# frontend imap is visible from Internet via SSL and
# proxies connections to required internal servers
imaps cmd="proxyd -s  -C /etc/imap_frontend.conf" listen="imaps"
prefork=0 maxchild=100

See also http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~fri/cyrus-imapd-patches/ for
gateway mode for frontends.

Alexey