cyrus-murder: backend and frontend/proxy on the same machine?

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Wed Jan 2 03:58:36 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:04:26PM +0100, Michael Menge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i don't know if it's possible with Cyrus 2.2, but it is with 2.3,
> look for unified murder

It is also very much possible to run two separate instances of Cyrus on
one server, with different imapd.confs and cyrus.confs and spool
directories and configuration directories and what-have-you... sieve
directories, which typically reside within the configuration tree. Look
for the -C option for - well, every cyrus executable :)

I've had a system running multiple Cyrus instances, frontends and
backends, on same physical servers at the same time in production for
half a year now. Works perfectly.

The unified murder works less than perfectly, or at least did in version
2.3.8. For instance, copying messages from a folder in the mailstore you were
connected to a remote folder was impossible, as was copying messages
the other way round. (Copying messages between local folders or between
remote folders did work.)

--Janne Peltonen
University of Helsinki

Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>