Endgame: Cyrus big install at UC Davis

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Feb 26 08:09:06 EST 2008

Vincent Fox <vbfox at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Several people have asked for the IDR number from Sun that gave
> us the performance optimizations we needed.
>
> Management says the agreement for the IDR we got prohibits this.

I just opened a case at our Sun Representative so we hope to get this zfs
patch as well.
filebench varmail leaves us with > 1,5 seconds (!) for an fsync(), which is
really a big performance hit.

<semi off-topic>

As a side note:
I had some fun with dtrace visualizing read and write access to our zpool
mirror (ZFS mirror pool) on our mail server, consisting of two fiber
channel RAID devices. You see that writes are nearly sequential (due to
ZFS) and reads are random i/o with some hot spots. Sure, you don't have the
effect of memory caching (ARC) included.
This zpool is used for IMAP storage, queue spool and log files. All
filesystems are compressed.

You may find the animated GIF (be warned, it is 5 MB in size) in my little
blog:

http://southbrain.com/south/

</semi off-topic>

Pascal Gienger
--
Rechenzentrum Universität Konstanz
Computing Center University of Constance