Importing Mails without "to" header

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 06:13:31 EST 2008

--On 15 February 2008 17:18:26 +0000 Phil Chambers
<P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

>> This is valid:         To: undisclosed recipients :;
>> This is not:           To: <undisclosed recipients>
>>

> I would say that the former is not actually valid, though the syntax
> looks  correct. RFC2822 section 3.6.3 says that To:, Cc: and Bcc: must
> contain at  least one address.

Formally, it says:
    to              =       "To:" address-list CRLF

And, section 3.4 says:
    address         =       mailbox / group
and
    group           =       display-name ":" [mailbox-list / CFWS] ";"

So, "To: undisclosed recipients :;" does match the formal specification.
There's also an example of such a Cc: header in A.1.3

> The above does not contain an address.

It does, in the sense that an "address" is defined in section 3.4. It's not
required, but it is useful for the recipient to get a clue that the other
recipients are explicitly undisclosed. It's also useful to include a more
descriptive display-name in some cases: for example, if a university sends
a message to all students, it might want to use the headers "To: all
students:;" in an effort to avoid a flurry of redundant forwarding
activity.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex