Cannot get sieve working with 2.3.11

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sun Feb 3 04:54:50 EST 2008

-- Albert Chin <info-cyrus at mlists.thewrittenword.com> is rumored to have
mumbled on 3. Februar 2008 02:18:23 -0600 regarding Re: Cannot get sieve
working with 2.3.11:

>> -rw-------  1 cyrus  cyrus  88 Feb  2 14:08 china.sieve.bc
>> -rw-------  1 cyrus  cyrus  48 Feb  2 14:08 china.sieve.script
>> lrwx------  1 cyrus  cyrus  14 Feb  2 14:03 defaultbc -> china.sieve.bc
>>
>> The sieve script above should discard all mail with a Subject header
>> but it does not. Any ideas?
>
> Ok, found the problem. In timsieved/actions.c we have:
>   if (sieved_userisadmin) {
>       strlcat(sieve_dir, "/global", size);
>   }
>   else {
>       char hash = (char) dir_hash_c(user, config_fulldirhash);
>       snprintf(sieve_dir+len, size-len, "/%c/%s", hash, user);
>   }
>
> imapd.conf has:
>   admins: china
>
> Removing myself from admins gets sieve working. But, why the above? It
> would seem that Cyrus assumes users with administrative rights would
> not be using sieve.

You should *never* use a user with admin rights for "normal" purposes. So
it's wrong to give yourself admin rights. Always use the default admin user
and use it only for admin tasks. Admin users are supposed to use sieve only
to manage global scripts.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK