choosing a file system

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Wed Dec 31 09:20:23 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:58:57AM -0800, Scott Likens wrote:
> I would not discount using reiserfs (v3) by any means.  It's still by far a
> better choice for a filesystem with Cyrus then Ext3 or Ext4.  I haven't really
> seen anyone do any tests with Ext4, but I imagine it should be about par for
> the course for Ext3.

There are /lots/ of (comparative) tests done: The most recent I could
find with a quick Google is here:

  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ext4_benchmarks

The problem with reiserfs is... well. The developers have explicitely
stated that the development of v3 has come to its end, and there was the
long argument between Hans Reiser and kernel delevopers about whether v4
could be included in kernel. When Hans Reiser was charged with murder
(not the crow or Cyrus variant), his company assured that the
development (of v4) would continue, but the last time I tried to find
out anything about the project, it appeared more or less dead. Of
course, the current reiserfs (v3) is very stable, but if you run into
any issues, there really isn't a developer you can contact (or send
patches to, if you figure out the bug).

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B