Cyrus Deadblocking

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Wed Dec 24 09:30:54 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 14:27 +0100, Teresa wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:30:31 +0100, Teresa <teresa_ii at myeburg.net> wrote:
> > Teresa wrote:
> > reconstruct -r -f user
> > and now run cyrus without squatted. And it seems to work. I have no idea
> > if its on squatter, or on few broken folders. Running stable for about 6
> > hours now.
> Ok, latest state. After 13 hours happy running it did hanged again.
> I did downgraded kernel to 2.6.26.8 and it doesn't changed anything.
> Behavier the same as with 2.6.27.10.
> So i think thats because of Berkley DB and glibc-2.9

Why?  If so it makes more sense to convert your databases to skiplist
and see if that helps than to flop library versions.

> It still randomly hangs. One of cyrus processes (ipurge, smmapd, imapd or
> pop3) just hangs, sometimes it  take few mins to happend, sometimes few
> hours, or it can run even whole week.
> What i did now is update to db-4.7.25 maybe it works more stable with
> glibc-2.9 i dont know.

Maddly flipping versions seems a poor diagnostic method (if it even
qualifies as a diagnostic method).

The best approach is to switch to a distribution where things are tested
and shipped in a known-working binary (w/dependencies) built by people
who actually understand what the various compiler options mean, etc...
Your method of shut-gunning various library versions isn't very likely
to lead you to a solution.