Problems with Sieve in Debian Etch

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Dec 15 15:47:17 EST 2008

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Alessandro Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using cyrus-imap for the last 6 years in a Fedora Core 3 Box, since
> cyrus compile gives me headache I used Simon Matter's package.
>
> But some time ago we had to replace our serves with Debian Etch, a wonderful
> experience, apt-get is by far the most reliable update software, but the
> problem lies with the cyrus-2.2 default package. All the Imap and everyting
> else is working perfect except sieve.
>
> When I try to create a script using sieveshell -u username -a username
> localhost, them use put vacation-username.sieve and after that activate
> vacation-username.sieve, it feels to be correct, but when trying to deliver
> any message I get:
>
> WARNING: sieve script /var/lib/cyrus/sieve/u/username/defaultbc doesn't
> exist: No such file or directory
>
> and checking the sieve dir on /var/lib/cyrus/sieve the directory above
> actually doesn't exist, but it created a global/defaultbc
>
> do you happen to know if this is a bug or maybe a misconfiguration ?

Are you authenticating with sieveshell as a cyrus admin user?  I can't
remember the details of how it works, but it is possible to create
"global" sieve scripts, which is probably done as the cyrus admin user.

You really shouldn't be giving admin rights to a regular IMAP user
account.  Use a separate account as cyrus admin.

 	Andy