Murder + Sieve + multiple backends problem

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Mon Dec 1 10:17:56 EST 2008

Juergen Wolf wrote:
> Hi
>
>  currently, I test a Cyrus IMAP Murder v2.3.13-openpkg on a solaris
> sparc host. While the murder setup went all fine and mail comes in and
> can be read by users, there is one thing left I could not fix.
> If a user has a sieve script like
>
> #Mail filter rules for wolf
> #Generated by wolf using SmartSieve 1.0.0-RC2 2008/11/25 09:02:43
> require ["fileinto"];
>
> if allof (header :contains "X-Spam-Status" "Yes,") {
> 	fileinto "INBOX.Spam-Tagged";
> }
>
> and the Folder INBOX.Spam-Tagged is located on a different backend
> server as the INBOX folder, the sieve script does not work. I get the
> following errors on the backend server where the INBOX is located:
>
> lmtp[27859]: sieve runtime error for wolf id
>  <200812011437.mB1EbPK3023434 at mailgw1.fraunhofer.de>: Fileinto: Mailbox
>  does not exist
>
> Is there any way to tell sieve to move mails to the correct backend
> server ?

 From the web site [http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/ag.html section 2.3]:

    If a SIEVE <http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve> script is present, the
    lmtp proxy server must do the processing as the end result of the
    processing may result in the mail message going to a different back
    end server than where the user's INBOX is. /Note that the current
    implementation runs SIEVE on the backend servers, and holds the
    requirement that all of a user's mailboxes live on the same backend./

So, you should heed this warning.
    -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com
2266 North Prospect Avenue #610	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202-6306          f. 414.290.0335