Very annoying IMAP problem (cyrus + Outlook)

Ciprian Marius Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Fri Aug 22 07:47:52 EDT 2008

David Carter wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Denis BUCHER wrote:
>
>> As far as I understand, the cause of the problem is : * "Outlook is
>> sending either a token or quoted string that is longer than 8K bytes."
>>

> Your problem is a mailbox which contains several thousand messages.
> Possibly several thousand messages which Outlook hasn't seen previously.
>
> Outlook tries to construct a single IMAP command of the form:
>
>   UID FETCH uid,uid,uid,... <some set of fields>
>
> where the list of UIDs is larger than 8 KBytes in size.

Any other possibility? I mean other than several thousand messages? Can
it be a limit in the OS? Or maybe the "set of fields"? Which contain a
weird char(set)?

I'm asking because I've had a CEO with ~28.000 (twenty eight thousands)
messages in his Inbox... out of which ~9500 were unread; and that was on
a 32 bit RHEL 4.0. Yet I haven't seen ( thanks God!) the problem(s)
described in this thread.