Cyrus vs Dovecot

Mathieu Kretchner mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr
Wed Aug 13 08:09:24 EDT 2008

Tornoci Laszlo a écrit :
> Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
>> Alain Spineux a écrit :

>>> what do you need ?
>> A secure / reliable / fast / easy to configure Imap server !
>>
>>> how many mailbox ?
>> 5000
>>
>>> how many users ?
>> 6000
>>
>>> what is in use now ?
>> Cyrus
>>

>>> what kind of access ? IMAP, POP3, webmail ?
>> All of them!
>>
>>> how many server ?
>> 2
>>
>>> Do you already have a database with your user ? in wich format ?
>> YES : LDAP / NIS
>>
>> The real question is because we have only 2 options :
>>
>> Why should I choose Cyrus instead of dovecot ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I happen to use both Dovecot and Cyrus. Dovecot is an excellent choice,
> if you want to migrate from an old imap box with mbox or maildir based
> mailstore. Dovecot knows these formats, so the migration is very easy.
> Dovecot is very easy to set up, reliable, has nice features.
>
> However, if you currently use Cyrus, it seems quite foolish to switch to
> Dovecot. This means all sorts of headaches without gaining anything. You
> would have to migrate all your Cyrus mailstore to another (probably
> maildir) format. I would do this only, if I had a really compelling
> reason. As others have already pointed out, Cyrus has more features, and
> I haven't heard of major differences between Dovecot and Cyrus in terms
> of speed or reliability either. Cyrus scales better, too.
>
>                                      Yours: Laszlo
> ----

That's right ! It's a really important point in which we have to focus
and do the better choice for sysadmin and users too.

So I'm happy to see that you use the two imap server of this topic and
your point of view of "not switch to dovecot" because of our old cyrus
architecture is quite interesting.

regards