Hello cyrus users

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Apr 24 03:06:33 EDT 2008

> I am not sure how happy I am too find out about cyrus.
>
> I just spent a lot of time getting everythig working on my first
> server...and even sendmail was not too hard (centos 5 sets it up rather
> well)...
>
> Then I see I needed a pop3 doo hickey..
>
> Holy moly.
>
> Looking for cyrus on machine was interesting as almost all of the files
> would not come up with a 'locate' command. And still do not. I am manually
> going through all the doc folders and etc and sys folders since locate
> cannot find them (and they are there)

maybe
rpm -ql cyrus-imapd

> There is only one book on amazon about cyrus and it is not in print
> yet....one. And it has nothing to do with sendmail. Redhat has little info
> on it although it calls it the 'default' pop3 for the enterprise 5.1
> (centos
> in my case)
>
> All I am looking to do is have sendmail put the mail into users mailboxes
> (users who will be from virtual hosts like jim at mysite.com and
> sally at myothersite.com) and just allow me to grab the emails with good old
> outlook....and of course send the mails (but that is sendmail I believe.)
>
> Are there any good tutorials just for that, cause by god the program does
> everything under the sun and is rather confusing at first glance...

How many users do you have, how do you want to authenticate them? Things
are quite different if you have 10 or 10000 users on a server. Cyrus can
do alot which is why it has quite some features you may have to configure.
I can't help with sendmail, I didn't touch it in the last 8 years but
found postfix much easier for me.

Simon