sync_client bails out on a "missing message"

Peter Bücker buecker at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Apr 14 09:54:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've got two servers running cyrus-imapd 2.3.11 from
ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus/ with the drac_auth.patch applied.
I'm trying to replicate the mailstore from the primary server to a
backup server. Both servers have an identical "imapd.conf" /
"cyrus.conf", except for the master having "sync_server" enabled with
all the necessary "sync_*" options in "imapd.conf". We have
"expunge_mode: delayed" in imapd.conf.

Replication mostly works fine, but fails for some users with the
following error:

   # sudo -u cyrus sync_client -vu buecker
   USER buecker
   Error from do_user(buecker): bailing out!

At the same time, this is logged to syslog on the master server:

   IOERROR: opening message file 5256 of
user.buecker.Mailinglisten.info-cyrus: No such file or directory
   UPLOAD received BAD response: Syntax error in Append at item 5173:
Invalid flags or missing message
   Error in do_user(buecker): bailing out!
   UNLOCK: received RESTART

The replica just reports "Unlocked [RESTART]" at the same time.

I did an ls on the mailbox folder on the master and indeed, there is no
file "5256." in the mailbox folder. Looking up the message using
"mbexamine -u 5256 user.buecker.Mailinglisten.info-cyrus" yields a
message which I cannot see using my mail client Thunderbird 2.0.0.12.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? I've looked at the
discussion at
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/cyrus-devel/2007-August/000369.html
but am somewhat afraid to try out the different patches posted there.

Regards,
Peter Bücker