cyrus perdtion , connections not dying

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 09:16:32 EDT 2008

--On 8 April 2008 21:59:21 +1000 Rob Mueller <robm at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Ok, so lets get some more details here.
>
>> We've got about 12,000 users, many of whom spend most of the day in
>> lectures, and tend to read their email at lunch time. Some staff with
>> large
>> mail folders tend to stay logged on all day.
>
>> Currently we have four OSX 10.4 servers with 6GB of RAM each. We've
>> purchased six OSX 10.5 machines with 4GB of RAM each, but worry that this
>> might not be adequate.
>
> So you've currently got 4 servers. Are these servers running both cyrus
> and perdition? Or are they on separate servers?

Just perdition, for a (now completed) migration from UoW IMAP. Our new
cluster, under development, will have a cyrus murder with separate front
ends.

> It seems you're running perdition and a murder setup so you can migrate
> from an existing system. Is that right? Do you have separated frontends
> and backends, or running them altogther?
>
>> Usually we have around 700k simultaneous pop connections  on the real
>> servers now with perdition we have 3000+ connections

Er, I didn't write that. That was Ram, the OP. Different person, different
institution, similar issues. We don't offer POP here.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex