cyrus perdtion , connections not dying

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 8 07:59:21 EDT 2008

Ok, so lets get some more details here.

> We've got about 12,000 users, many of whom spend most of the day in
> lectures, and tend to read their email at lunch time. Some staff with
> large
> mail folders tend to stay logged on all day.

> Currently we have four OSX 10.4 servers with 6GB of RAM each. We've
> purchased six OSX 10.5 machines with 4GB of RAM each, but worry that this
> might not be adequate.

So you've currently got 4 servers. Are these servers running both cyrus and
perdition? Or are they on separate servers?

It seems you're running perdition and a murder setup so you can migrate from
an existing system. Is that right? Do you have separated frontends and
backends, or running them altogther?

> Usually we have around 700k simultaneous pop connections  on the real
> servers now with perdition we have 3000+ connections

I presume you menat 700 there. Is that across all your servers, or just one
of the four servers? That seems like quite a few POP connections. Do you
really mean POP connections, or do you mean IMAP? Or do you mean POP and
IMAP? How many "imapd" and "pop3d" processes do you see on each server? How
many do you see in total across all 4 servers?

Rob