cyrus perdtion , connections not dying

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 06:44:41 EDT 2008

--On 8 April 2008 07:32:27 +1000 Rob Mueller <robm at fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> opposed to 1.5 - 1.9 MB per process. I've even seen cyrus processes with
>> up
>> to 30MB.
>
> cyrus uses mmap a lot. The processes probably aren't actually really
> growing, they just look bigger because a user has a folder selected and
> the cyrus.index file has been mmaped into the process space. If they
> unselect the folder, the process size will drop back down again.
>
> How much RAM does your machine have and how many users are you trying to
> support?

We've got about 12,000 users, many of whom spend most of the day in
lectures, and tend to read their email at lunch time. Some staff with large
mail folders tend to stay logged on all day.

Currently we have four OSX 10.4 servers with 6GB of RAM each. We've
purchased six OSX 10.5 machines with 4GB of RAM each, but worry that this
might not be adequate.

I'm not sure about mmap. Is cyrus.index mmaped into process space on the
proxy server? I currently have a 67MB mailbox with 15,000 messages open.
I'm not seeing a particularly large process reflecting that fact. I suppose
that's a good thing, though.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex