R: R: question from a beginner

Toschi Pietro Pietro.Toschi at actalis.it
Thu Sep 27 13:54:11 EDT 2007

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Alain Spineux [mailto:aspineux at gmail.com]
Inviato: giovedì 27 settembre 2007 19.41
A: Toschi Pietro
Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Oggetto: Re: R: question from a beginner

On 9/27/07, Toschi Pietro <Pietro.Toschi at actalis.it> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, but I posted my question here because it's related to how to make that using cyrus: unfortunately I would like to monitor all the mailboxes (or at least a large subset of them) of my server, so writing a client application that polls every mailbox is not admitted (I don't have user passwords indeed!)

The cyrus user can access all mailbox with his credential like if they
are sub-folders.
cyradm is a simple imap client (written in perl), and when you do a
"listmailbox" it just use
the imap LIST command.
[Toschi Pietro] yes, I tested that feature, but it still requires that I write a client application that polls EVERY mailbox and I'm going to have thousands of boxes.

> I figured there is a way of hookig those events at server processes level, and manage the way you like, more or less like those application that notify you with a SMS message when you receive a new message in you mailbox (it's not my case nor may goal, but it's a very similar case) or the way that a milter application hooks to sendmail for messages pipeline management.

Maybe someone else will answer this way. But APPEND and DELETE are 2
unusual events for monitoring application.
[Toschi Pietro] I agree, but it's a customer requirement.

[Toschi Pietro] For example, our previous imap server, Sun Messenger, currently features an Event Notification System (http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6418-10/introens.html#18902) that's similar to what I'm looking for.

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com