sieveshell problem after cyrus 2.3.9 upgrade

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Sep 26 07:12:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> Dear All,
> 	I have strange sieveshell error after upgrading to cyrus imapd
> 2.3.9:
> I no longer can use sieveshell to upgrade the sieve rules. I got the
> following error:
>

> mohacsi at mignon> sieveshell mail.domain.hu:2000
> connecting to mail.domain.hu:2000
> unable to connect to server at /usr/local/bin/sieveshell line 169.
>

> When I try connecing via telnet:
>
> telnet -4 mail.domain.hu 2000
> Trying mail.domain.hu...
> Connected to mail.domain.hu.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.9"
> "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation imapflags
> notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
> "STARTTLS"
> OK
>

> What can be a problem?

Answering myself and others if they have similar problems....

It seems that cyrus imapd after 2.3.9 does not support plaintext
authentication by default. And sieveshell does not support STARTTLS by
default. You have to enable "allowplaintext" in the
imapd.conf configuration file used by timsieved.

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882