Cyrus IMAP 2.3.9 on Solaris 10 with ZFS and SAN

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 22 05:31:48 EDT 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:19:45 +0930, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> said:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > >
> > > UMich runs the caching proxy on the host running httpd/webmail.
> > > up- imapproxy is very stable.
> >
> > Fastmail runs our own "imappool" which is a funky daemon capable
> > of passing FDs around between processes.  I don't know how it works
> > precisely, but it uses Socket::Pool which had a sourceforge project
> > and doesn't appear to any more.  My guess is that I'd rather not
> > look at the code for fear of going totally insane.
>
> You can pass file descriptors over UNIX domain sockets, see SCM_RIGHTS.
> Here is some code Google found ->
> http://search.cpan.org/src/SAMPO/Socket-PassAccessRights-0.03/passfd.c

Yeah, I think we're using that somewhere too.

> It's a feature, not an insane kludge!

Pot-ay-to, Pot-ah-to.  Any sufficiently insane kludge is indistinguishable
from a Unix feature (or did I get that backwards?)

That said, I'm tempted by Wes's up-imapproxy idea for our WAP server.
It's written in PHP so we don't run it on a box inside our trusted
network, it just talks IMAP with the plebs.  It currently uses
imap_pconnect which has the lovely /feature/ of returning "too many
login failures" rather than the actual error message if you enter the
wrong password.  Using a proxy to avoid continual reconnects but that
could actually return a sane error message would be very nice.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm