Sieve vacation function not working..

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Mon Sep 17 07:45:33 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Torsten Schlabach might have said:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> it would indeed be helpful if you posted the relevant section of your
> sieve script. Nevertheless, two hints which might hopefully be useful:
>
> 1. Try to find out if anything in the chain between Sieve and your MTA
> might be the issue. The easiest way to do that is to try some rejecting
> with message or some forwarding as this will require Sieve to generate a
> new message and send it. In case that works, your Cyrus-MTA-Integration
> is probably not the problem. If that does not work either, check your
> MTA's log files for potential problems.
>
> 2. If you find out that it looks as if Sieve is not creating any
> vacation response message at all, do you have the :address parameter set
> up and set up correctly? This parameter is technically optional, but the
> default value when omitting that parameter is *not* a wildcard. In other
> words: A vacation setup without any :address parameter will never create
> a vacation response message at all. (I think this could become an FAQ.)

My apologies for a seeming hijack of this thread. I have the same issue also.

The vacation portion of my sieve script is:

# load the necessary components
# fileinto is for filtering
# vacation is ... well ... just that

require ["fileinto", "vacation", "imapflags"];

# save a copy of inbound messages
setflag "\\Seen";
fileinto "INBOX.backup";
removeflag "\\Seen";

# main filtering rules
if header :contains "Subject" "testing vacation" {
	vacation :days 1 :subject "test vac" "I'm testing, ok?!";
	setflag "\\Answered";
	fileinto "INBOX.howard";
} elsif address :contains ["to","from","cc","bcc"] ["@mac.com","admin15 at pointwise.com"] {
}

I am transitioning my users from pop3 to imap4/cyrus. Currently I have most users
on imap4 using a wierd mail route. The mail comes in, is sent to the pop3
server, a crontab entry for each user pulls the mail with fetchmail, sends each
message to procmail, and procmail eventually uses deliver.

I'm testing eliminating procmail for the internal sieve scripting on my account.
I cannot eliminate fetchmail until all my users are migrated to imap4. This is
just background data.

Currently my sieve works well for filing the various messages. As mentioned above I
cannot get the vacation portion to work. When a message arrives with a subject
of 'testing vacation' the message is filed into the folder 'howard' but not reply
is received on the external, sending account. I have waited several days between
messages to get around the ':days 1' parameter in the script above.

I have local6 sent to a separate file, though I do not see any extra messages.
I am using the current rpms on fedora core 5.

I know sieve is working because my messages do get filed according to the full
sieve script.

Mike

------------------------------------- rpms
[mikee at elo ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
[mikee at elo ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cyrus
cyrus-imapd-devel-2.3.1-2.8.fc5
cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.21-10
cyrus-sasl-2.1.21-10
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.3.1-2.8.fc5
cyrus-sasl-ldap-2.1.21-10
cyrus-imapd-2.3.1-2.8.fc5
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.21-10
------------------------------------- rpms
------------------------------------- /etc/imapd.conf
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
autocreatequota: -1
autocreateinboxfolders: Sent | Drafts | Trash | Junk | spam | backup
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
drachost: localhost
dracinterval: 0
hashimapspool: true
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
poptimeout: 10
postmaster: postmaster
quotawarn: 90
reject8bit: no
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail
servername: servername
sieveusehomedir: 0
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sieve_maxscripts: 5
sieve_maxscriptsize: 32
timeout: 1440
tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
#unixhierarchysep: yes
------------------------------------- /etc/imapd.conf
------------------------------------- /etc/cyrus.conf
# standard standalone server implementation

START {
  # do not delete this entry!
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
  idled         cmd="idled"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/lib/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
# pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=3
# pop3s         cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1
  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=1

  # these are only necessary if receiving/exporting usenet via NNTP
#  nntp         cmd="nntpd" listen="nntp" prefork=3
#  nntps                cmd="nntpd -s" listen="nntps" prefork=1

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
#  lmtp         cmd="lmtpd" listen="localhost:lmtp" prefork=1
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

  # this is only necessary if using notifications
#  notify       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/notify" proto="udp" prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression,
  # Sieve or NNTP
  delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3 -X 1" at=0200

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}