Cyrus replication and file system problem

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Sun Sep 16 02:10:55 EDT 2007

I'm running Cyrus 2.3.9 on a small server (less than 10 accounts).  I'm
thinking of using replication to put a second copy of the mail store on
a remote server.

The twist is that I'm planning to configure the remote replica to put
its Cyrus spool in a file system that is encrypted (using "truecrypt").
Since the spool directory will need to be mounted by hand (with a pass
phrase typed in manually by me), I need to deal with the possibility
that Cyrus might be running but the spool directory is missing (e.g.,
if the server has just rebooted and I haven't had a chance to log in
and mount the encrypted file system yet).

My question is, will Cyrus's replication work properly in an environment
like this?  Obviously, nothing can get stored on the replica server if
the spool directory is down, but if the master tries (unsuccessfully) to
synchronize new messages while the replica's spool directory is offline,
will everything eventually end up clean after the file system has been
mounted on the replica?  Or is there a danger of activity on the master
being lost?

As best I can tell, this is NOT the same as a situation in which the
replica server is completely down.  In my scenario, the replica server
will be running, and the Cyrus application will be running, but the
spool directory will be missing.

Is there anything in particular (configuration options, messy kludges,
etc.) that I need to do in a setup like this in order for replication
to work?

--
Rich Wales      ===      Palo Alto, CA, USA      ===     richw at richw.org
http://www.richw.org   ===   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales