reconstruct: odd behaviour with delayed expunge (2.3.9)

Matt Bernstein mb--cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Sat Sep 15 10:50:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been having the same glibc-vs-lmtpd problems as Ali Nebi (though I'm
using Exim), also on FC6 x86_64, but I noticed that at least in most cases
I could get the mail delivered after reconstructing the users' mailboxes.

My man page for reconstruct says that the "-k" option means "Preserve the
cyrus.expunge file and the corresponding message files instead of deleting
them."

Unfortunately, "-k" not only preserves them, it unexpunges and undeletes
the messages, with a few bonus messages in my INBOX along the lines of
"This morning I seem to have about 7000 resurrected emails in my inbox"
from people like my Head of Department.

Luckily, re-running reconstruct without "-k" makes them go away,
permanently, and presents me with new bonus messages along the lines of
"Thank goodness" from the same sort of people.

So.. I think there's a bug in the "-k" bit, I've lost the ability to
unexpunge old messages (which I know is a perk of delayed expunge rather
than its /raison d'être/), and I thought I'd relate my moderately scary
experience to those who might fall into a similar trap. :-)

Matt