Relation of filesystem to Cyrus mailbox structure

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Fri Sep 14 11:27:17 EDT 2007

Heya folks,

Is there any documentation on how Cyrus mailboxes are "structured", as
relative to the file system?  Man.  That's a poorly worded question, but I
can't seem to find the best way to say it...

I'm used to dealing with mbox mailboxes until very recently.  The one
thing that mbox format has going for it is that it's really conrete, for
lack of a better word.  The file in /var/mail/username is the user's
inbox;  No internal database or whatever.  Other folders work similarly.

Where I've been stuck recently is trying to figure out things like how to
manipulate mailboxes by using the file system.  Maybe this isn't really
practical using mdir.

Here's the latest:  I have a user that we migrated from mbox.  She has her
inbox folder, which migrated fine.  Then she has a couple of other folder,
which migrated fine.  Then she has folders within folders, and those
refuse to show up, and it won't let her subscribe to them.  Here's how it
they're in the filesystem:

/var/mail/j/user/janedoe   <-- Inbox: Migrated fine
/var/mail/j/user/janedoe/folder1  <-- Also migrated fine
/var/mail/j/user/janedoe/folder1/folderA  <-- I can't get to show

I don't think the user really NEEDS the folder called folder1 above, but
wants the folders inside of it.  So I tried to move folderA back one level
so that it was sitting inside the /var/mail/j/user/janedoe folder, but
that doesn't work.  I figured I had to run a reconstruct command, but no
avail there either.

I guess the fundamental question here are these:

- If I make changes to the file system, how do I get these reflected in
Cyrus mailbox views?

- Is this even a good idea, or something to be avoided, and done another
way?

- Is there any documentation on how the Cyrus internal database on
mailboxes, quotas, and subscriptions "work"?

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel