deliver reports (/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp) failed: Connection refused

Gyorgy Knyihar cyrus123 at syspro.hu
Thu Sep 13 09:24:55 EDT 2007

Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for your help.
Please see my answers below.

Idezet (Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>):

>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> I tried you suggestion and there are no more
>> "Sep  3 07:45:59 srv1 deliver[20650]:
>> connect(/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp) failed: Connection refused"
>> messages appearing in the error log file.
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.
>>
>> I run postfix chrooted so a hardlink pointing to
>> /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp was required in
>> /var/spool/postfix/var/lib/imap/socket directory. This needs to be
>> refreshed every time cyrus is restarted.
>
> It's much easier to make lmtp not chrooted. Simply remove the chroot
> option from lmtp service in master.cf. I don't think that's a big security
> problem.

Yes, this sounds easier, thanks.

>> But my collegaues told me that this is not the only problem. Cyrus
>> pop3, pop3s, imap and imaps services become unavailable time to time.
>> And only restart helps.
>> Delivery from postfix to cyrus mailboxes via this new setup (direct
>> lmtp) is OK during the outage of pop3, pop3s, imap, imaps service. The
>> services don't die at the same time. Sometimes imap dies but pop3
>> still works. Restart helps. It is really strange. It was a stable
>> system before and nothing was changed. I could find only the following
>> errormessages in the log files:
>>
>> Sep  8 01:35:00 srv1 pop3s[15591]: Fatal error: tls_start_servertls()
>> failed
>> Sep  8 01:37:09 srv1 imaps[15687]: Fatal error: tls_start_servertls()
>> failed
>
> Do you only have problems with pop3s and imaps, or also with pop3 and
> imap? If it's only SSL/TLS, there yould be a problem with /dev/random and
> you should try using /dev/urandom instead. Otherwise it could be that one
> or more of your cyrus databases are corrupt. Did you try a reconstruct on
> all you mailboxes?

It is a problem with pop3 and imap as well. I monitor the services
with nagios running on the same machine and there are problems with
all services.
Time to time these services die and only restart helps.
I haven't tried to reconstruct mailboxes yet. I will try.
I don't know if it does matter but lot of users are over their quota.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards, Gyorgy