Replication and single instance store

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 4 04:59:44 EDT 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:15:32 +0100 (BST), "David Carter" <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> said:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > for all the users across which the single instance store needs to
> > apply, then run 'sync_client -r -f $file'.
>
> I typically use "-u -f" to do this. However:
>
> > Creating files like this and passing them with the -f flag forces
> > sync_client to consider them in the same run, so it "finds" the matching
> > message on the replica.
>
> sync_server maintains a fairly modest UUID cache on the server side: 1000
> messages in 2.3. A restart is negotiated after each UPLOAD command.

Ah - yeah, that's right.  Except that the restart only got negotiated after
each folder was processed, and if you're pushing a new folder with 200,000
messages (say, after a user move in our case) then that got a bit memory
hungry and all sorts insane.

Does this mean there is no way to get single-instance-store on a replica
if you're rebuilding it from scratch?

(short of some script that post-adds it with uuid scanning magic...)

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm