squatter running longer than 24 hours

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 06:27:45 EDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Vincent Fox wrote:

> I have seen squatter run more than 24 hours.
>
> This is on a large mail filesystem.  I've seen it start up a
> second one while the first is still running.  Should I:
>
> 1) Forget about squatter
> 2) Remove from cyrus.conf, run from cron every other day
> 3) Find some option to cyrus.conf for same effect as #2?

I squat a fraction of mailboxes each night using:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.3.8/squatter.patch

For example:

   squatter -s -m 0 -M 7

would update the squat indexes for 1 in 7 mailboxes, based on modulo
arithmetic on the mailbox UniqueID.

squatter would really benefit from incremental updates. At the moment a
single new message in a mailbox containing 20k messages causes it to read
in all the existing messages in order to regenerate the index.

Unfortunately, the code is rather impenetrable. I infer that it is
collecting information about adjacent characters in the message body.
Presumably a 5 character search term provides 4 required pairing as a
prefilter from the squat engine before message by message search kicks in.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.